This is an early 1980’s Tonka Clutch Popper, Chevy Chevelle model (‘Yellow Streak’) that came into the workshop (aka ‘the shed’) in a ‘not working/don’t know how it works’ state. Exterior actually good condition considering. Disassembled and found the usual culprits, dust and crap built up around the wheels and motor (but not as bad as the other one – probably because it was a slightly later model, less mileage:p). This one has the ‘turbo sound’ so is 1980+ as far as I can tell. You can see in the below picture the little white-ish plastic bit sticking out the back of the motor, that is the turbo sound maker – it vibrates against the dust cover to make that high pitched noise.
Took it through standard service steps 1-8 (kept the turbo sound on though), which you can see in detail on the maintenance page, but was essentially cleaning up around the wheels and motor, lube, cleanup body, sand tires to resurface them for maximum grip.
Then I test it out to see how it runs (this one was basically back to normal), and if all good I leave it at that (as did with this one), if still a bit rough then I’d look at taking the motor out (involves drilling the steel rivet out – easy, or plastic ‘rivets’ out – more of pain/destructive), but I’d rather not do that if it doesn’t need it. I’ll do a blog post about that at some point. You’ll notice on the picture below this is one of the models with plastic ‘rivets’ on each side of the front of the motor, and a hole where the steel one is in other models. Not sure why they made this design change (it may be there were 2 different factories?) as the ones with a steel rivet really have all three (its just that the plastic ones aren’t squashed down) so those models are: a) tougher – more belt & braces, b) easier to maintain.
This one now runs very fast if revved right up so i used a grippy mat to run it on in the test. I’ve since found another trick/hack that will keep it straight(er) at full speed which is essentially additional weight and getting the balance right. But if you just rev it a couple of time it’s fine and still very quick. I’ll leave it up to the kids to sort out:)
Anyway here’s some photos and a short video of how that went, sorry didn’t video the actual maintenance steps as didn’t have a way of holding the camera and doing that at the same time – I’ll work something out for that for the next one. But this one is now ready for a new life of getting run into things by kids (& adults:)) with a bit of imagination, and a strong forearm :p.