This is an original Tonka Clutch Popper 1978-80 Chevy Chevelle (Action Series – no ‘turbo sound’), that was is pretty good nick really for its age, but running like a dog, in fact sold as ‘not working’. Which was correct, it was not currently working and did need a service before being returned back out for duty!
This one needed a good clean-out inside, for such good condition outside, the inside was pretty shite and did take a bit of cleaning.
After disassembly the process with this one was:
- Scraping around the axles and picking out everything that was wrapped around there with some tweezers
- Lifting out any large clumps of fluff/dust/crap around the place
- Spraying some CRC on some cotton buds then using those to wipe down all around the motor
- Getting some lube (CRC 556 at first, followed by some NOXY) all around the flywheel.
- Getting some lube (CRC 556) around the gear rods on the exterior of the motor and along the top joint (not too much, you don’t want a pool of the stuff down the bottom)
- Spinning it up to get the lube moving around, then actually needed the motor out as was still a bit rough, and sprayed down with CRC to remove all the dirt as much as possible, air blown dry then a light coat of NOXY that dries to a light film (could’ve also used a dry lube spray which may have been a better bet, but didn’t have any, maybe next time).
- Spin up again
- Sand rear tires to re-grip as they’d become quite shiny